Friday, April 15, 2011

Day Two: Better and Better!

sooo i woke up this morning (Monday) around 1230 and my stomach hurt so bad.. i took some tums and then a hour later i had to search my way through the house to the bathroom.. it was a lovely first experience of the toilet.. luckily it wasnt too bad so i got out of there without too much.. um.. you know bathroom stuff going on.. i went back to bed and around 530 the eldest sister comes in and tells me its 6 and its time to wake up.. i had already been up for awhile because for some reason i got really really homesick and all i wanted to do was to go home.. I just couldnt stop the tears that just came out of no where.. i was convinced that i couldnt do this is was too much at one time and i couldnt even talk to anyone from back home to reassure me that i should stick through it all.. i got out of my mandi (kinda like a shower but with cold water that i have to turn off to soap up and turn back on to rinse off.. its interesting..  but i got out of the shower thinking i was fine yet i just couldnt convince myself.. i got out some kleenex and tried to make it look like i was ok.. i looked up the word homesick just in case.. i was too afraid that if my ibu or bapak saw me crying i would start crying harder.. it just was not a good morning for me..

around 730 we left to go pick up Daniel who lives down the road a little ways, I was sure where we were going because my ibu told me we were going to see her friend.. i should have figured it was Daniels host mother.. so we walked to out class room and let me tell you the scenery is awesome.. it is so beautiful.. i didnt take my camera with me today but i am hoping to have it tomorrow so i can snap some pictures to show off.. the walk to the classroom takes about 20 minutes so once we got there George and Maryellen, the only other two people in the village, were already at class.. it was until i saw them that i started to relax.. class started to pick up and i felt that i was learning more and more and i started to realize that i could do this.. i know i am going to have moments where i feel like i just wanna go home a lot the next few months but this morning i just thought i was going to lose it.. (but im better now..)

i did pretty well learning some new things. I can describe the colors of some objects, tell you who i am with, what some things are and a few other tidbits that are a little helpful if you need to find something out.. Ini apa? is what is this? and Itu apa? is what is that. Now i can point at stuff at home and have my family tell me what stuff is.. lovely!

so after class we all went on a walk to see where each other lived. It was nice to know that only one person is pretty far away.. ill probably never walk up the giant hillside again but man is he going to have some nice legs.. its worse than jeff hill (those from ou will get the reference) at around 4ish we got to my house (mine was last on the tour) and i had to say goodbye to the americans and spend the rest of the day with my host family.. its only been like 4 hours since that moment yet it had felt like a lot more than that.. So much happened when i got home.. i made some flash cards, practiced numbers with my little sister who i think is warming up to me more which is nice, helped my brother with his english.. more like me telling him the answer while he kept guessing.. i wanted to look up the word cheating as a joke since alllllll his friends were there as well.. they were sooo funny.. they started playing justin beiber and looked at me like i may not know who he was. I told them that one of my friends (Evanne) actually got to meet him and they were all impressed.. i think they were jealous.. haha.. around 6 i had dinner and my host sister put soooo much rice on my plate (nasi= rice) im going to be fat.. i cleaned my plate though near the end i thought i was going to explode.. ill have to find the words for getting my own food.. if this keeps up im going to weigh 800 pounds when i get back.. ohh.. my host mom made me milk.. which im pretty sure came straight from a cow since refrigerators are not really used here.. and she heats it up and then adds it to a jar that has sugar in it.. its not bad.. just veryyyy sweet.. thats one thing you can notice here that everything is really sweet.. im surprised they all dont have rotting teeth from all the sugar! (they do brush their teeth...)

afterwards i went back to the sitting room, helped my sister by checking over her english homework... i think she can comprehend more one paper than when i talk to her because she got all of the questions right.. Sempurna! (perfect!) all my brothers friends were still here and they are funny.. they kept saying random things in english to me haha.. the three girls that were there told me i was pretty.. which i hear a lot.. i wish i knew a better response than terima kasih (thank you).. just doesnt seem like the right response.. i got a visit from some Peace Corp personal making sure everything with my family was good and if i needed anything.. they placed me with this family partly because i said i like little kids and my host mother hosts a pre-school sometimes.. maybe ill be around when the little ones are around so i can scare them haha.. im just a beautiful scary person!

well i gotta get to bed.. hopefully i sleep better tonight since i had a busy day.. tomorrow i should be getting a cell phone! im not going to hand out my number because im not really sure what the whole minutes and international stuff will cost so its not a big deal but im excited.. i can call home!

we also found an internet cafe so maybe later this week i get get on or just wait till friday when I have to go to UMM.. i may only be able to access the internet at UMM so all this technology may go down to one day a week.. its already been a day and im feeling the strain with the lack of communication.. its getting better though the more language i learn..

well love you all :)

4 comments:

  1. Keep your head up al!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are scary...not sure about the beautiful part hhaaaha love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that Justin Beiber thing was funny. I bet they were all flirting with you. It's killing me that I can't see pics of where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you'll have a few bouts of homesick. It'll be ok. Your doing a great job. You also may wanna try and skype or video chat, if you can work out the time differences. I do agree you are pretty scary. lol kidding. I would love to see the pic of you working in the rice patties. I think you should listen to your language CD's as your going to bed :) may help. So justin Beiber is world wide,that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete