Monday, July 11, 2011

school days..

so school has finally started.. in a way..

today was the first day of orientation for the new students.. and oh boy what fun..

first we had upacara.. i had my camera but i was rushed out of the teachers room.. i will try and snap some pics next monday.. its really formal and has a lot of military drill stuff going on in it.. its pretty interesting.. every monday we will have these ceremonys.. at todays i was introduced to the whole student body.. i was afraid as i stood out on the basketball court that my principal was going to make me speak but he didnt.. thank god.. ive gotten over a lot of my fright of talking in front of people but 500+ students would be a little too much for me.. at least i got a loud cheer haha.. i can only hope they all still like me after i start teaching..

so afterwards we went to the teachers room and sat around for about an hour before we had to go did little english activities..

man.. i dunno.. i didnt really know what i was going to be doing so i kinda forgot supplies.. i was under the impression we would be talking to a hundred students at a time but whatever.. its very clear that a lot of the new students know no english.. which is a little daunting.. theyve been taking it since third grade.. and while i know its hard.. i can remember spanish and i took it from 4th until 11th grade.. and i knew more than they do of english.. i really hope its not a sign of whats to come.. i told one of my counterparts that i am going to refuse to speak indonesian.. and i really hope that a lot of the teachers follow up with me on that.. no wonder they dont know anything.. a majority of the class is in indonesian.. it may be like pulling teeth with some of the teachers but i hope they can see that my way, while it may be harder, it will force the kids to learn english..

its also hard to get the children to speak.. i know they are a little nervous in front of me and english is hard to speak but i dunno.. something again for them to do.. i plan on doing a lot of speaking.. they need the practice.. and thats how they are going to have to communicate with me.. i didnt come to speak indonesian.. which again i hope the students will still like me after all this.. i know im not here to be a friend but if students dont like me i dont think this year will go all that smoothly..

hm.. thats about all i have now.. its hottttttt here.. makes me feel really lazy.. hah

hm lastly.. tomorrow is the wedding of my principals daughter.. i have to be ready to leave at 6 in the morning! ahh!! but i know im going to have some awesome pictures.. im going to get my hair and make up done and im going to be wearing some traditional clothes.. ill try to snap as many pictures as i can as im sure i will not get a chance to be in a wedding like this again..

well i guess that all for now..

love you all :)

(Quote from one of my favorite movies.. pretty fitting..)
Donkey: What in the shestershire is this place?
Shrek: Well, my stomach's aching and my palms just got sweaty. Must be a high school

No comments:

Post a Comment