Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Cross Cultural Experience - Tie-Dying!




So I know its been awhile.. Nothing really exciting has been happening and Ive been a little lazy trying to figure out stuff to post.. BUT the next few days are going to be exciting..  Friday I am leaving my site for two weeks.. I CANNOT wait.. First I am going to Bromo, one of the most active volcanoes in Indonesia.. SOOO pumped.. that was one of the first things I looked up about Indonesia when I found out I was coming here.. The Volcanoes! It was closed like the first 3.5 months we were here because it was erupting.. so I'm excited.. One of the volunteers is a studying volcanologist so he knows all this stuff about volcanoes and the earth and yeah.. so it should be informative and just all out awesome.. I always wanted to see a volcano.. and then off to Surabaya for two weeks with my fellow Americans.. I have missed them so much.. I feel like ive known most of them forever and some of them are turning out to be my best friends..

anyways onto the real reason for this post!

So since English Club started I wanted to tie-dye and this was the week.. I had a blast.. I really really really like this kids.. Some of them are sooo funny.. One girl loveessss Justin Bieber.. shes so cute..

Anyways..

First I got to school lugging around 24 empty water bottles.. All the teachers in the teachers room started laughing and asking me what I was doing.. It was kinda hard to explain but luckily most of them understood.. After filling all the bottles up two teachers and I walked the classroom and all the students playing soccer and walking around kept asking what we were going to be doing.. It was like being singled out for being white haha.. which happens all the time.. So I walk in the class and like no one has a tshirt or fabric out.. i was kinda bumming since I texted them all the night before reminding them.. But then some of them whipped out fabric and I got excited all over again.. I went outside to mix the dye and some of my students stopped and asked me what I was doing.. They even wanted to help but once I showed them my hands they changed their minds.. I am going to have blue hands for probably a week.. but it was all worth it.. as I was filling all the bottles I ended up having a huge audience.. It was funny having some of the boys watching making commentary.. They kept trying to get some of the girls to drink the dye haha..

Then we tie-dyed.. it took a little bit for them to get excited about it but once they saw how it worked they all really got into it.. which was awesome..

 This is one of my cps, Bu Ely trying to help the students haha..


 English Club!
They were so excited to take this picture haha..


love you all :)

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see the pics! Hope someone took one of you. Should we send you white fabric & some dye?

    ReplyDelete